How Do I Get Copies Of My Traffic Accident Reports?

Have you recently been involved in a Los Angeles car accident? You may be entitled to compensation if you were injured or if your car was damaged in the crash. Accidents can be pretty overwhelming. You may not remember important details about the incident. Fortunately, your traffic accident report will help to refresh your memory.

Types of Accident Reports

There are two types of formal reports that can be created after your Los Angeles accident: police reports and traffic accident reports.

Police Report

It’s always a good idea to call the police and ask to have an officer sent to the scene of your accident. Once the officer arrives, he or she will complete a formal police report. This report will contain important details about the accident. This can include:

  • Names and personal information for everyone involved
  • Details of the road conditions and weather
  • Description of damage and injuries, and
  • The officer’s personal assessment of fault.

This police report can help your attorney if you decide to pursue compensation down the line. It is not, however, legally required.

Traffic Accident Report

You are legally obligated to report your accident if it causes property damage in excess of $1,000, bodily injury, or death. You could face harsh fines and even the loss of your license if you don’t report the crash within 10 days. This report, which is filed on Form SR-1, is known as a Traffic Accident Report. You must file this if you want to recover insurance benefits from another driver’s policy.

The Traffic Accident Report will include important information about your accident, including:

  • Names and details of all relevant parties
  • Insurance information for all drivers
  • Description of property damage, and
  • Explanation of personal injury.

How Do I Get Copies of My Accident Reports?

There are two ways to get copies of any accident-related reports: online and in person.

Police Reports

Online: The easiest way to get a copy of your police report is by going online. You just have to know where your accident occurred. Simply visit the website for the appropriate police agency. If your accident was in Los Angeles, you’d simply visit the LAPD website. There’s a specific page for obtaining your police report.

Mail: You can also mail in a formal request and a check to the appropriate police department. For Los Angeles, mail your inquiry to:

Los Angeles Police Department
Record and Identification Division
P.O. Box 30158
Los Angeles, CA 90030

Traffic Accident Report

DMV: The Traffic Accident Report is available through your local DMV. Since the report was filed directly with this agency, you’ll have to visit the DMV to get a copy. The DMV is legally required to keep a copy. Anyone who was involved in the accident or represents a victim can obtain a copy.

Need More Help?

Accident reports can be vital to the success of your personal injury case. They often contain details and information that are easy to forget over time.

At Citywide Law Group, our attorneys will use those reports to conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident. This will allow us to determine the cause and identify who may be to blame. Finding every possible defendant will help you maximize your recovery. Call our Los Angeles car accident attorneys today to schedule a free consultation.

For more information, call our law firm at (424) 248-2700 or visit our contact us page to send us an email.