Have you been injured in a car accident? If yes, then speak with a Los Angeles car accident attorney at Citywide Law Group. We can help get you the money you deserve.
Our attorneys have helped injured clients recover millions of dollars in damages. Contact us today to learn about how we may be able to help you. We offer a free consultation and only get paid if you win.
- 1 Car Accidents in Los Angeles, CA
- 2 Should I Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident?
- 3 How Can a Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers Help Me?
- 4 How Long Do I Have To File an Auto Accident Claim in Los Angeles?
- 5 Who Can I Hold Responsible for My Injuries?
- 6 Types of Damages Car Accident Victims May Recover
- 7 How Much Money Can You Recover From an Auto Accident?
- 8 Common Car Accident Injuries in Los Angeles
- 9 Causes of Auto Crashes in Los Angeles
- 10 Steps to Take After an Accident
Car Accidents in Los Angeles, CA
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, there were 91,052 victims injured or killed in 2016, in Los Angeles. The breakdown is as follows:
- 90,253 injuries,
- 799 fatalities
In 2015, more than 82,437 victims were injured or killed in Los Angeles car accidents in 2015. Of those accidents:
- 6,920 accidents involved alcohol,
- 4,493 involved motorcycles,
- 5,951 involved pedestrians, and
- 4,289 involved bicyclists.
Each year thousands of drivers will be injured in an auto crash in L.A. If you’re one of these drivers, let us help you get the compensation you’ll need to make a full recovery.
Should I Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident?
If you are injured in an accident in Los Angeles you should consider hiring a personal injury attorney. Medical costs have skyrocketed, meaning you could have some serious medical bills to deal with. Hiring an attorney improves your chances of getting the money you deserve.
Just how much are car accidents costing victims? According to a recent study, the average claim for property damage after an automobile accident was $3,231 in 2015. The average claim for bodily injury was $15,443.
Citywide Law Group helps Los Angeles injury victims get the money they need. Don’t rely on the at-fault party’s insurance company to pay your claim in full.
How Can a Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers Help Me?
Filing a lawsuit after an accident is complicated. Our legal team knows how to navigate this process successfully.
Here are a few of the steps we will take when pursuing a claim for you:
- Investigate the crash that caused your injuries;
- Review police reports and interview eyewitnesses;
- Consult experts, including accident scene recreationists;
- Determine fault and liability;
- Negotiate with the insurance company; and
- Go to trial on your behalf
Don’t fight the insurance company on your own. They have one goal in mind – to deny or minimize your compensation. Find out how our accident attorneys in Los Angeles can help.
How Long Do I Have To File an Auto Accident Claim in Los Angeles?
In California, you usually have two-years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim against the negligent party (California CCP § 335.1).
It can take your attorney several months to investigate your accident. Therefore, you should speak with an attorney immediately following your accident.
Who Can I Hold Responsible for My Injuries?
More than one party may be liable after a crash. These may include:
- The driver(s) involved in the accident;
- Vehicle manufacturers; and
- Government entities responsible for the maintenance and safety of Los Angeles thoroughfares.
The issue of liability can be complex. More importantly, determining liability is critical to make sure you get all the money you deserve. As such, it’s best to speak to a personal injury attorney in Los Angeles to determine who is liable for your accident.
Types of Damages Car Accident Victims May Recover
Damages for personal injury claims fall into two categories: Economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are awarded to put victims back in the place they would have been in had they not been injured.
Economic damages are awarded to compensate for calculable out-of-pocket costs, which often include:
- Medical expenses;
- Personal property damage; and
- Lost wages.
Non-economic damages are awarded for injuries that are more difficult to assign an objective monetary value. Common non-economic damages awarded after an auto accident include:
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental anguish;
- Loss of enjoyment of life; and
- Loss of consortium.
How Much Money Can You Recover From an Auto Accident?
The amount of damages that you may recover depends on the
- Extent of your injuries, and
- Circumstances surrounding the accident.
If you were partly at fault for the accident the amount(s) you may be able to recover may be decreased. We can explain which costs you may be able to recover from a personal injury claim.
Limits on Recovery If You Don’t Have Car Insurance Coverage
In California, accident victims may not recover non-economic damages if they do not carry liability insurance. This means that motorists who operate a vehicle without valid car insurance are doing so at their own risk of personal safety.
If you do not carry insurance, you may not recover compensation for
- Pain and suffering,
- Loss of enjoyment of life, or
- Loss of consortium.
Economic damages, though, are still fully recoverable.
Common Car Accident Injuries in Los Angeles
The severity of injuries is declining. However, severe injuries still happen.
We have helped clients recover compensation for injuries that include:
- Lacerations and contusions;
- Broken bones and fractures;
- Traumatic brain injury;
- Internal organ damage;
- Internal bleeding;
- Spinal cord injury;
- Loss of limb(s); and
It is important to see a doctor after a car crash, even if you do not believe you were hurt. Undiagnosed internal injuries can be life-threatening if left untreated. If an internal injury manifests at a later date, complications may cause the cost of treatment to skyrocket.
Causes of Auto Crashes in Los Angeles
Who (or what) is to blame for a Los Angeles auto accident?
Research shows that there are four main factors that contribute to auto accidents:
- equipment failure,
- roadway design,
- poorly maintained roads, and
- driver behavior.
Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Association shows that drivers generally cause 94% of automobile accidents.
The remaining 6% of fault can be attributed to:
- the vehicle itself,
- environmental factors, and
- other unknown conditions.
Distracted driving is a rising cause of automobile crashes in California. Data from the National Highway Safety Association indicates that distracted driving caused 10% of all fatal crashes and 18% of all injury-causing accidents in 2013.
Cell phone and mobile device use have also drastically increased distracted driving practices. A study by AAA found that nearly 40% of California drivers surveyed openly admitted to using a mobile device to text or check email while driving.
Statistics on Causes of Los Angeles Motor Vehicle Accidents
The California Office of Traffic Safety collects data about the causes of California motor vehicle crashes.
The most recent data for Los Angeles indicated:
- hit and run, and
- driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
were the most common causes of collisions.
In 2014, alcohol was a factor in 6,815 accidents and speed was a factor in 14,495 accidents. That same year, 7,204 accidents happened between the hours of 9:00 pm and 3:00 am and another 6,816 were the result of a hit and run collision.
Steps to Take After an Accident
If you have been in an auto crash it is important to remember a few simple steps. These will ensure that you are physically safe. It will also help to preserve evidence for your potential claim.
- Don’t Panic: Take a few moments to gather yourself and try to understand the situation. Take a deep breath and prioritize the following steps.
- Move to a Safe Location: If your accident occurred in a high-traffic area you should move away from the scene of the accident. Many times, drivers approaching the crash are unaware of the hazard. This can result in a domino effect and cause additional crashes. Moving to a safe area can ensure that you do not sustain any further injuries.
- Request Medical Assistance: It is important to request a medical evaluation even if you do not believe that you were harmed in the crash. Injuries may not present themselves immediately. However, a medical professional can help to ensure that there are no internal injuries that could pose a serious threat to your health. Documenting your injuries is also an important step in collecting evidence for your potential claim for damages.
- Contact the Police and Report the Incident: A police report that documents the details of your accident can be invaluable when you decide to pursue damages from an at-fault party.
- Collect Information: If it is safe to do so, begin to gather information that may be important for your future claim for damages. Take pictures of the accident from various angles, ask witnesses for their information, and document the insurance and driver’s license information of the other driver(s).
- Contact an Experienced Attorney: An attorney can be an invaluable asset if you’ve been in an accident in Los Angeles. Don’t try to fight insurance companies on your own. Instead, let an attorney handle the legal process while you focus on recovering. You are more likely to recover a more substantial settlement or award if you enlist the assistance of an attorney.
Contact An Experienced Los Angeles Car Accident Attorney Today
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation from the at-fault party. The time following an accident can be incredibly stressful. An attorney can be a great source of information and comfort as you struggle to recover.
Insurance companies will likely want to settle a claim directly with an accident victim. This will increase the likelihood that they are able to avoid paying a fair and reasonable settlement amount. At Citywide Law Group, Los Angeles attorney Sherwin Arzani will help you fight to recover the maximum amount of compensation to which you are entitled.
Contact our law firm today for a free consultation to learn more about how we may be able to help you.
Blog for Car Accidents
- How Do Insurance Companies Determine the Value of Damage to My Car After an Accident?
- How Long Will It Take To Settle My Car Accident Claim?
- Reporting a Car Accident in Los Angeles, CA
Car Accident Resources
- California Code of Civil Procedure 335.1
- California Traffic Safety Info
- Statute of Limitations Info Provided by the California Courts
- What To Do After a Car Accident
Sherwin Arzani and his team have over 17 years of combined experience successfully representing those injured due to the negligence of a third party. Mr. Arzani has achieved several million dollar settlements for his clients.
Sherwin was recently chosen as a SuperLawyer, is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Form, and was recognized as one of the “Top Attorneys in Southern California” by Los Angeles Magazine.
Submit your review
Sherwin and Oliver did a great job handling my car accident case. I highly recommend them.