Exposure to toxic chemicals, fumes, or materials can have devastating consequences. Toxic exposure can cause you to sustain serious injuries or even develop life-changing illnesses. Unfortunately, the consequences of toxic exposure aren’t always immediately evident. As a result, you may not know that you’ve developed a serious health problem until years after your initial exposure.
At Citywide Law Group, our attorneys can help you fight for compensation if you have suffered a toxic exposure injury. It doesn’t matter if the exposure happened yesterday or thirty years ago; we’re prepared to fight for the money you deserve. Call our Los Angeles toxic exposure attorneys today to schedule your free consultation and learn more.
Types of Toxic Chemicals and Materials
Certain chemicals, fumes, and materials are known to pose serious health risks if they are consumed, inhaled, or even touched. Our attorneys are prepared to help you file a toxic exposure lawsuit if you have been harmed because of exposure to:
- Carbon monoxide
- Sodium dioxide
- Sulfuric Acid
- Hydrochloric Acid
- Benzene, or other harmful substances.
Signs and Symptoms of Toxic Exposure
Remember, you may not even know that you’ve been exposed to a dangerous toxic substance until weeks, months, or years later. It is possible that you could remain symptom-free for a long period of time. It is important to seek medical attention if you begin to experience any of the following signs and symptoms:
- Neurological problems
- Difficulty sleeping
- Onset of new allergies
- Memory loss
- Concentration problems
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Dizziness and nausea
- Limited mobility, or
Prompt medical attention will be necessary to diagnose and treat your symptoms. This can help to prevent your injury or illness from progressing.
Toxic Exposure Injuries
Toxic chemicals and substances can do a great deal of harm if you are exposed without protection. Commonly reported toxic exposure injuries and illnesses include:
- Brain damage
- Organ damage
- Birth defects
- Reactive Airway Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS)
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Hodgkin’s Disease
- Lung disease
- Aplastic anemia, and
These health issues can be devastating. Some may significantly reduce the quality of your life. Others may cut your life expectancy short. It’s important to understand your legal options if you have sustained a life-changing injury because of toxic exposure. Contact Citywide Law Group for help today.
Causes of Toxic Exposure Injuries
Toxic exposure can happen anywhere, anytime. However, there are certain causes of toxic exposure that are reportedly more frequently than others.
Workplace Exposure: Many workers are required to work in dangerous conditions and/or around toxic substances. While some precautions are taken to protect workers from dangerous exposure, there are still significant risks. Workers in the following occupations may be at an increased risk of toxic exposure:
- Textile mills
- Hazardous waste transportation
- Insulating professionals
- Factory workers
- Construction workers
- HVAC technicians
- Farmers, and
- Oil rig workers.
Always take precautions when working with or around toxic substances. Your employer is required to provide you with the safety equipment you need to protect yourself from adverse health effects.
At Home Exposure: It’s also possible to be exposed to toxic chemicals in your own home. Old homes or buildings may have been built using dangerous materials such as asbestos or lead. Water entering your home could be contaminated with dangerous chemicals in runoff from factory farms, fracking, or manufacturing plants. You may unknowingly bring dangerous chemicals into your home if products aren’t labeled properly.
Liability for Toxic Exposure Injuries
Who can be held financially responsible for your toxic exposure injury? The answer will ultimately depend on how and why the exposure occurred. In California, however, you can seek damages from anyone who contributed to your injury.
Employers: Were you injured at work? Your employer may be liable for your injuries or illness, even if they were not negligent. Workers compensation benefits can be available to help you with medical bills, lost wages, and disability. If your employer acted intentionally or if another person is to blame, you always have the right to file a civil lawsuit.
Property Owners: If you were exposed to toxic chemicals while on someone else’s property, you may be able to recover compensation from that person. Property owners have an obligation to make sure that their premises are safe for guests. A failure to inspect the property for dangers or to correct known hazards can make a property owner liable for your toxic exposure injuries.
Manufacturers and Suppliers: It may be possible to file a lawsuit against the company responsible for the design, manufacture, or sale of the toxic chemical. Companies that create products, including toxic substances, must ensure that the products are safe. Any known risks or hazards must be disclosed. If a company fails to warn consumers about potential risks, or if a product is unnecessarily dangerous, it may be liable for damages.
Why It’s Important to Work With an Experienced Attorney
When you are injured because of exposure to a toxic substance you can sustain life-changing injuries. The consequences can have far-reaching consequences throughout your life. You may require extensive medical care, experience excruciating and debilitating pain, or be forced to accept that your life expectancy is limited. When someone else is responsible for your exposure to toxic substances, you have the right to demand compensation.
There are many challenges in filing a toxic exposure lawsuit. The process can be complicated and time-consuming. Hiring an attorney to handle your case will allow you to assert the strongest possible legal case. At Citywide Law Group, our Los Angeles personal injury lawyers understand how devastating injuries from toxic exposure can be. Our goal is to handle all aspects of your case and maximize your financial award. We’ll take care of the legal issues while you focus on your family and health.
Here’s what you can expect when you trust our Los Angeles toxic exposure lawyers with your case.
- Careful Determination of Cause. Symptoms of toxic exposure may not develop overnight. In fact, you may not even know that you’ve been exposed to a dangerous substance until years later. This can make it very difficult to pinpoint the cause of your injury or illness. Our attorneys know how to investigate these difficult cases. If you’ve developed a serious health issue without explanation, we will comb through your past to determine if it is possible that you were exposed to toxic elements. Any indicators of exposure will be thoroughly researched. We’ll also search for other individuals who have complained of similar health issues to help narrow the possible range of causes. While it may take time to determine the cause, the investigation is crucial to your case.
- Proper Identification of All Defendants. Once the cause of your injury or illness has been identified, the next step is to determine who is at fault. In California, more than one person can potentially be liable for your toxic exposure injury. If you were injured at work you may be able to name both your employer and the substance’s manufacturer as defendants in a lawsuit. Our attorneys will carefully review your case and identify anyone that may have contributed to your harm.
- Accurate Valuation of Injuries. What is your toxic exposure case worth? We know that money won’t guarantee a recovery, but it will help to reduce stress and cover costs. Our goal is to make sure that you receive a fair settlement offer or jury award for your injuries. This is only possible if we carefully analyze your case and properly assess the value. We work closely with financial, medical, and vocational experts to determine exactly what your case is worth. This assessment factors in how your injury or illness will affect the rest of your life.
Hiring an attorney will give you time to focus on yourself while also increasing the likelihood of recovering the money you need. Contact Citywide Law Group to get started on your case today.
Statute of Limitations for Toxic Exposure Cases
Toxic exposure cases are different from other personal injury matters. Since symptoms of your exposure can take months or years to manifest, the traditional statute of limitations for bodily injury cases do not apply. California Code of Civil Procedure § 340.8 explains that toxic exposure lawsuits must be filed within two years of the injury or two years after you “reasonably should have become aware of:
- An injury
- The physical cause of the injury, and
- Sufficient facts to put a reasonable person on inquiry notice that the injury was caused or contributed to by the wrongful act of another.”
In other words, you have two years from the date you identify that your injury was likely caused by the wrongful conduct of another person.
Call Our Los Angeles Toxic Exposure Injury Attorneys
The health consequences of toxic exposure can be devastating. You have the right to demand compensation if someone else’s actions or negligence caused your harmful exposure. Contact Citywide Law Group for help understanding your legal rights and options. Our Los Angeles toxic exposure attorneys can help you fight for the money you deserve. Call us today to schedule your free case assessment.